Thursday 21 May 2015

Interpreting design with natural Dyes

When I started this process I knew that I would need an extensive palette of shades and tones within a colour. I am still learning how to achieve this objective but the knowledge and understanding gained from Ian and Isabella's workshops have led to an application of this goal using indigo. There is still scope to increase the range available to me but this will improve as the number of dye vats increase allowing me to use the 'tired vats' for pale colours and increasing the number of times I dip the fabric  resulting in very dark blues.
My sketches of reflections in water were the source of my design and I plan to develop this source and its interpretations as the main aspect of practice in my research.


The top image from the National Museum was one of the first paintings which attracted me to reflections. Then I was in Paddington by the wharf and the reflections of the buildings made interesting patterns and colour combinations.
I chose to use indigo and madder for my first attempt. The shape of the palette knife was just right to make the wax resist marks. The image above shows the first stage and this was dipped in a 'tired vat' of indigo for the pale blue areas. Some of these areas were also waxed with the palette knife and the fabric dipped into a strong indigo vat. After the wax was boiled out I re waxed the central area leaving the shape of the reflection unwaxed between the two waxed areas. The fabric was folded lightly and just the unwaxed area dipped into the madder vat. It was left overnight. Then the wax was boiled out again!!
I will photo the end result when I have been assessed on my work and collected it from Uni!


No comments:

Post a Comment