Friday 5 February 2016

The Ploughed Field 2

I wanted to discover more secrets from the field and parked in the gateway. There was a group of off road motorbikes in the forest behind and their noise disturbed the usual quietness of the field. I walked along the headland a little way and looked more closely at the stubble left from last years crop. The stalks are grouped in 'families' but where the tracks of machinery have trodden the stalks down the 'families' are no longer heading in the same direction. The colours are more interesting than first imagined and stitch/wax resist come to mind. I need to sketch them to fully understand the organisation of this community of stalks!

 There leaves trapped by the stalks which would be slowly breaking down and without the intervention of the plough would fertilise the soil. But they also contrasted the straight linear shapes of the stubble. The colour combination was also interesting - pale yellow white and even purples with the russet tones of beech leaves.

I also found ears of corn which I will look at in the next blog










But there were the tracks and furrowed lines of the field which I still have lots more to explore in pencil paint and print. Such a wealth of ideas from this ploughed field!



After my tutorial the world of semiotics and indexical signs beckons. Looks like I have lots of work ahead - so exciting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment