Monday 13 June 2016

Booklet and challenges

After changing my direction from product to presentation many new pathways have opened up to my Masters.
One of those is a booklet. I contacted the local authority to identify who was in charge of the museum and heritage of the local area. A visit to a local heritage site, another to a shopping complex which also organises special events for members led to an explanation document to outline services I could offer ie talks, demonstration, workshop, exhibition etc. But I felt that I needed something more professional and thought out. My primary objective is to share my passion for natural dyes and inform people of the importance of sustainability. so -Historical evidence, My research, Dye colours and plants, The processes and The design development.
At NUA there was an exhibition of 1st year Graphic designers and this made me consider a booklet that could have a more detailed explanation of my practice with lots of images. I identified 3 students whose work appealed to my idea and emailed the tutor. I have always returned to the Malhaffa book that I bought in Morocco and used it as the basis of my idea. Everything started very slowly and after 3 weeks I began to wonder if the booklet would happen. THEN within a week I had met the students tutor done the text and images and met the publisher. I n the end the booklet isn't going to be as refined as I had imagined but the costs dictate what I can achieve and it could be just a start. Also after mentioning SDC in the text I contacted them for approval and they have indicated an interest so I think it was the right decision.

An example:
                                                      THE INTRODUCTION

 
INTRODUCTION
In 1965 archaeologists excavated an Anglo Saxon site in West Stow in Suffolk and found evidence of a complete settlement including a weavers’ house. The post holes and weights of the loom were found but no fibres or textiles. However, textiles have been found dating back to the Neolithic period in other ancient sites. My practice as a natural dyer is based in the West Stow and the area around Kings Forest where I feel the influence of the people who have lived here and the beauty of the changing landscape. The materials for my natural dyes are largely sourced here or from local growers such as The Dye Garden in Mildenhall, limiting road miles as sustainability is a prime objective for my work. During my studies for a Master’s degree I was able to research the extraction of colour and develop a greater understanding and knowledge of the dyeing process.



I am using that knowledge to experiment with new plants and to apply to the development of my textile designs. The Field is a project inspired by land on the edge of Kings Forest and has led to research into the history of Breckland and man’s toil to farm this arid land.


So now it is a wait to see how George gets on with designing the booklet and how well Kingfisher publish it!!
But my challenge is to translate my designs onto large scale with the added challenge of the dye vessels, stretching the fabric for the resist and rinsing - probably in the bath! 
It is a case of no more delay let's get it done!! My diary has been such a help to organise my schedule with lots of adjustments but it stops panic attacks!


No comments:

Post a Comment