Thursday 19 May 2016

POTS AND DESIGNS

The eucalyptus is simmering away on the range in two different pots. I saw and bought 2 beautiful copper pans at a Fair but am not sure if the metal content of the pans will effect a change in the dye colour outcome. So decided to do a comparison by following the same method for both. I also bought some iron fillings and need to see if the will sadden the dye colour to create a grey. So half of the eucalyptus samples will be modified with iron water

 Aren't they beautiful?!! The first difference is that the copper pan takes longer to heat up but retains the heat longer!








I have been concentrating on the tracks left by tractors and by man on the field looking especially at the images on the day it snowed and layering my marks and designs with other aspects of the field. The stubble makes interesting lines and shapes even when you turn it around.












Tracing paper allows layers to be
built up and composition adjusted.
The layers of dye include nettle, indigo and blackberry which will not be colour fast but I want the bright colour from the berries to lift the other colours. The trial scarf, same fibres smaller size; gave me an idea of the order but the dyes need to be more definite without patches also the grey disappointing. But I think the combination reflects the snowy day. So more trials! I will do the wax first because the colour of the blackberry will be changed if it is immersed.
Now I must get the wax resist design from the tracing paper developed, first on wool delaine keeping to the dimensions of the final hanging.


No comments:

Post a Comment