Thursday 19 May 2016

Professional Practice

It is interesting that after what, 4 years of studying textiles and being product focussed it is in the last few months that I feel a real path beyond NUA. The Professional Symposium in the Ideas Factory also added to my new thinking.



I really can see the potential of having a studio post Masters in the Factory as it was explained, there are various advantages within the package. Incubation is a lovely term - makes me think of fluffy chicks! - for starting a new business idea with all the professional support/advice, the creative environment and the excellent facilities available in the centre. As I am thinking a service/ knowledge base/ workshop/ talk based business with a practical practice in natural dyes, the Ideas Factory may be just what I need! A really useful session and Sarah was very approachable. Funding session also helpful.
The Ph session has convinced me that isn't for me. Although I do love the research and feel there is so much more to learn and to discover with natural dyes the PhD is not the answer. But lovely talking to James and hearing about his work.

The afternoon sessions I went to were good for talking to others and sharing ideas. Sebastian had asked us to bring our CV's (it took me an hour to find update and load up!) but they weren't looked at - he went through a sheet about formulating CV's and thinking about their function. Useful but we can read through the sheet and more case studies and general discussion could have been really useful. However he has seen mine and sent me his observations. This is my next task to get one off to Head of Operations at St Edmundsbury Borough Council. So good timing!





Post MA and the Public Speaking workshops were more informal and more networking than structured. The post Masters time is something which many students find difficult and another reason why the Incubation centre is a good link out!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment