Wednesday 25 March 2015

Batik

I just love research ! you find out things that make you want to dig deeper and discover that you can keep on following the links which just become more and more fascinating! I started with the book by Noel Dyrenforth called Batik! It's first chapter about the historical background in countries around the world made me realise just how broad the term 'batik' is. Then I started to Google!! More and more I am intrigued by the individuality, the identity that develops and how even in Java there are many different styles depending on historical factors and geographical location. One outcome of this has been my sketchbook - I am using it at the moment to record the water and the lakes near my home. I really need to look at artists interpretation of water. Maggie Hambling's exhibition would have been ideal but I can still get to the Monet exhibition at the National Gallery.
Indonesian batiks

In general, there are two categories of batik design: geometric motifs (which tend to be the earlier designs) and free form designs, which are based on stylized patterns of natural forms or imitations of a woven texture. Nitik is the most famous design illustrating this effect.
Certain areas are known for a predominance of certain designs. Central Javanese designs are influenced by traditional patterns and colors. Batik from the north coast of Java, near Pekalongan and Cirebon, have been greatly influenced by Chinese culture and effect brighter colors and more intricate flower and cloud designs.



 So much to do and trying to fit in sessions in the workshop to explore other tools and utensils for transferring the wax while considering making tools!

No comments:

Post a Comment