Saturday 28 March 2015

Indigo with mark making

So I have begun experimenting with the marks I can make with the Tjanting and when I planned a session to dye these first samples I was reminded that natural dyeing needs nurturing unlike synthetic dyes they will not necessarily be ready and waiting! The indigo vat had been standing for sometime and I do not have the facilities at the moment to keep it warm so it needed some attention. I am very lucky to have Ian from Woad inc and Jean Beale from Busy Bees nearby. When I asked this was the reply from Ian -

Heat your dye bath/vat to 50/60c check the PH 9.5/10.5 add soda if needed, then add hydros whatever hydros has to be added to extract the air if the vat has been standing.  You only need to add pigment for stronger colour.

So my lovely Indigo Vat came back to life and I dip the first designs. The top row shows the first single dips of about 5 minutes.
My code for recording seems to be working -WPWR -means woad pigment wax resist but now I am beginning to use different tools perhaps I need to record this too. I don't want the code to get too long so notes on the record sheet might be better.
These images bottom row from left to right show - different timing in the vat ie the top sample was in for 5 mins the bottom one for 30 mins. The next image shows the second application of wax over the first indigo dip and the third image shows the result after 3 dips and 2 wax applications to different aspects of the design. Next Madder with indigo.
I was really pleased with the sample shown in the middle until the final time in the indigo vat when I completely forgot to check the temperature!! When dyeing with wax resist designs the vat temperature must be below 40 degrees. Not only did the design disappear the vat had a wax surface!
I tried different ways of removing the wax - ironing with lots of paper to soak up the wax etc but found that boiling is best. However the fabric needs to be kept under the surface, leave it until the water has gone cold and you can skim off the wax to use again AND keep a large pan just for the wax removal because wax is difficult to remove. Also sinks are blocked very easily!!
 I'm starting to experiment with different tools - toothbrush is great for 'feather' marks, the metal spatula could be used with the Tjanting for fish, the bamboo and copper pipe aren't easy to be precise with but make me think of fish scales. BUT I have visited the 3D workshop and this wonderful man Jim is going to help me make my own tools!! Watch this space!!








No comments:

Post a Comment