Wednesday 29 April 2015

Deep fat fryers and water heaters

A day returning to the dye vats and trying out the deepfat fryer for wax!
I had been to see Jean Beale and bought some madder roots; some of which I planted, and weld tops for new dye vats. I soaked the roots overnight then put them on the range to simmer for half an hour, the liquid was drained out and made up the volumne of rainwater to 10 litre approx. The weld had boiling (tap) water poured over, left 5 minutes then strained, more rainwater added to approx 10 litres and the wetted fabrics added and were kept under the surface with a plastic lid. The samples were all cottons so I tried leaving one for 3 hours, one overnight and one for 48 hours. There was little difference in the outcomes but the colour was really vivid. I will use one of the samples in woad after re waxing to try to achieve a yellow, green and blue blend.
I want to begin to develop the design and colours and starting with this grid will form the basis for a repeat pattern. Some of the african wax resist designs use creatures from their environment so I'm thinking fish!! Need to visit a fishmongers to look at the different shapes I'm particularly fascinated by the heads.
The madder proved more variable according to the time in the vat and the mordant. The samples here are not a good representation of the actual colours which are salmon - left in overnight with alum mordant and a blue pink taken out after 3 hours but a copper mordant. There is a third sample which was left for 48 hours and is a deeper salmon. I decided not to simmer the vat which would have resulted in a deeper shade.
I'm pleased with both a these vats which can be used at least once or twice more.
The day was also spent exploring the new copper tools I have made and using them to interpret the studies I have made of water, beaches and fish. I used Sarah's designs so there are areas along a central line. The fat fryer was a great success and heats up very quickly so saves elec!
I am also using fabrics cut to the dimensions of a book dust cover so that I can put some samples together for a local art supplies shop who may be interested.
The copper piping tools made a texture which I feel can be seen to represent fish scales but the 'ladau' is more difficult to control. I think that the copper pipes could be developed by altering the shape of the pipe and ensuring that the ends are completely level. The 'ladau' needs a thinner copper.
Really pleased that I could get dye vats made, begin to think about interpreting my sketches/designs with wax and complete 6 designs then begin boiling out the wax in 2 days.
The next challenge will be to reactivate the woad vat and make up one with the woad balls. Considering buying a water heater but not sure if I will have the £89 that a new 15 litre model costs. Might have to leave the woad balls for next month!!

No comments:

Post a Comment