Saturday 25 April 2015

Woad Inc

After several weeks of research, meeting interesting people and sketching from artists work it is time for developing designs and interpreting them in dye and resist. So the timing of the Woad workshop was ideal as it allowed me to revise the indigo process and ask Ian about problems I have had with vats and investigate methods using woad balls.
Ian introduced the history of woad to the group and how he and Bernadette, his wife have used woad to work with the fashion industry as well as supplying Jarrolds with indigo scarves etc and supplying a range of products from the woad including oils, inks and dye kits. It was a compliment that he referred to my work and I was able to contribute to the session.
The woad in my garden is on the verge of flowering so I wanted to be sure of how to harvest the seeds and sow last years seeds for an August crop - here's hoping for a warm summer!.

Last year I was able to pick enough leaves to make a weak dye bath but will use Ian's woad balls this time as this was the method used historically -  the balls were an important trading commodity for England as well as many other countries. Back to the workshop -
The hands on session involved choosing a resist method where string, plastic tubing, clamps and sewing are used to prevent the indigo dye from reaching areas of the silk. The group produced a range of outcomes and it was useful to see how unpredictable (but attractive!) the designs developed. I was interested in the wooden shapes which could be clamped in place and result in a very definate outline.
 Thinking - fish shapes could be combined with wax resist?

 During the dyeing process I was able to see and ask Ian about the logistics of dyeing larger pieces. he has accumulated a number of Burco boilers but also adapted a bath by inserting a thermostat and heating elements. Think I will be going down the Burco route!
The layout of the dyeing room included hanging wires and sinks for rinsing, a washing machine which he uses for mordanting and a spin dryer.
Mordanting in a washing machine will be much easier for me than using the bath which often leads to patchy areas of mordant.
My day with Ian has been a real help, I bought the woad balls etc so that I can get started on a new dye bath. I intend to reactivate the one I used last month by adding Sodium Hydrosulphite which dispels the oxygen and compare the outcomes of the 2 dye baths.
On Ian's recommendation I have looked at Jenny Dean's Blog from 2008 where she describes her use of the woad balls that were sent to her by Ian.
I have also bought a deep fat fryer as recommended by Helen Dougall so that I can have a wax pot which has an opening large enough to take the copper tools I have made.
So here goes no more mark making interpreting my designs ........

No comments:

Post a Comment