Wednesday 1 July 2015

Catch up Blogs - New designers and London first

New Designers - Awash with digital print and a serious lack of weave constructed or stitched textiles, when will they learn the importance of traditional skills to make their work stand out from the crowd. Very disappointing but some interesting jewellery and I did find two students using sustainable awareness in their work.
Laura Brainwood is a weaver using naturally dyed wool to create some interesting 3 dimensional textures which I want to explore as they have the feel of waves. She uses indigo and weld mainly and studied at Heriot Watt University. I spoke to one of the tutors who is researching into waste products relevant to the textile industry. I discussed the position of sustainability in their coursework with Dr Sara Keith the tutor and it reminded me that I was going to find out about the waste products which could generate natural dyes such as walnut husks.

 Aleksandra Bujak studied at Wolverhanpton and uses upcycled denin in her work. It gave me ideas to think about the ways I could use the woad dye to create textiles which patch together and construct them to form 3D shapes - even clothing!


Trip to Berwick Street was good as I could feel the fabrics and think about the weight I will need to create the layers of fringe - idea from the 30's dress in the V&A!
My tutorial was so useful. Les is challenging but gets you to really clarify your direction etc. The idea of a 'language of water' has enabled me to explore the whole sound, movement etc of water and I have been aware of the ways people describe water. I am pleased with the photographic images I have collected but really need to get the paper and paints etc out and start flowing!! It needs a day of no holds bound where I just let the images push me without being constrained by the dye/resist methods I will use. But I would like to see David about pleating and trying to achieve movement within the pleated lines.
Now I must collect this months batch of nettle leaves (1 day late) and as it is over 30 degrees it will be interesting to see how the colour compares to the fresh leaves from last month. Then I will cut the nettle patch down so that the new growth can produce more leaves. Also want to see if the flower produces colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment