Tuesday 7 July 2015

Design narrative

This weeks tutorial was a challenge mainly because I have been visiting, reading, researching but not doing any sketching designing dyeing etc etc. So I am committed to using my knowledge to develop my Design Narrative - so what exactly have I committed to ?!

'Design narratives are accounts of critical events in a design experiment from a personal, phenomenographic perspective. They focus on design in the sense of problem solving, describing a problem in the chosen domain, the actions taken to resolve it and their unfolding effects. They provide an account of the history and evolution of a design over time, including the research context, the tools and activities designed, and the results of users’ interactions with these. They portray the complete path leading to an educational innovation, not just its final form – including failed attempts and the modifications they espoused.'
 
'Phenomenography is a qualitative research methodology, within the interpretivist paradigm, that investigates the qualitatively different ways in which people experience something or think about something.'

' a paradigm /ˈpærədm/ is a distinct set of concepts or thought patterns, including theories, research methods, postulates, and standards for what constitutes legitimate contributions to a field

 'Empirical evidence, data, or knowledge, also known as sense experience, is a collective term for the knowledge or source of knowledge acquired by means of the senses, particularly by observation and experimentation.'

OK so now that I have looked at the definitions to understand 'design narrative' I can see what I am and am not doing.
I have a theory ie: that nettles will produce different colours within a range of greens which is affected by the soil conditions, part of the plant, season or stage of growth, climate.
So my Qualitative research is to test this theory by collecting specimens from different areas, times of the year and plant parts. They will be coded, logged and the samples compared over a range of fabrics and fabric conditions.
I will use this empirical evidence to solve the problem in design where natural dyes are used with resist methods but a number of colours/colour tones are needed.
The history and evolution of the design is an area I have neglected so I need to
DO IT

No comments:

Post a Comment